Chin-Wobbling Resolve: A(nother) Love Letter to Margaret Rutherford in 'Murder Ahoy'

I always wish I had the chin-wobbling determination and resolve of Margaret Rutherford, here as eccentric and courageous as ever in my favourite Pursall-Seddon Marple, “Murder Ahoy” (1964), definitely my favourite though I always feel I can't properly explain why. Have you seen "Murder Ahoy (1964)? There's a scene in the second half of the film when Miss Marple has returned to the ship Battledore to continue her investigation, she decides to quietly wander in the middle of the night in search of clues. And there we see a rather beautiful scene unfold where very little happens but it appears all are rather awake and restless on the same night, wandering the anchored ship in its peaceful little cove.



Ron Goodwin's music is absolutely melancholically perfect as the wordless scene unfolds, interrupted only by little hums of satisfaction when Miss Marple makes her first discovery of the night. I guess I like it because it's a memorably dreamlike interval full of soft padded sleepwalking steps in the half light of the corridors and cabins, as you're still unsure who's done what. It's a nice bit of cinematic poetry, and that's all, really :') Xo

Comments

  1. I ADORE Margaret Rutherford as Miss Marple, but I somehow missed this film. I'll be on the lookout, thanks to you. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right, she is wonderful in this film series!! Just the type of heroine I'd like to turn out to be when I'm older hehe. The MGM Marples are my ideal curl-up-on-the-sofa choices, this one in particular, so I can't wait for you to see it :') Thank you again for your kind support Xo

      Delete

Post a Comment