A Costume with a Body and Spirit In It: Leonid Bronevoy’s Wordless Theatre in ‘Seventeen Moments’

A little Müller moment, a random armchair thought that belongs nowhere else but here haha :’) I first saw Russian actor Leonid Bronevoy in the comedy “Pokrovsky Gate” (1982), as Velyurov, a shy and lonely pianist full of mild pre-perestroika sentimentality, so it felt like he was suddenly a complete stranger to me as the villainous Müller in “Seventeen Moments of Spring” (1973) - the gulf between his two characters kept me in awe (and frankly, mild terror that only grew as the series went on) of his performance.


Recently I read something where he shared that part of his character’s carefully restrained tetchiness came down to his SS uniform tailored 2 sizes down (accidentally? So I understood with my beginner Russian, haha). That barely disguised, minute physical discomfort transmutes so perfectly into wordless theatre, as he himself put it - every subtle tug of his tunic, press of his belt, and pull of his collar, undermines Müller’s charm, calm, and control to half-reveal the tumultuous energy and wild tension beneath, a great actor Xo

Comments