How to 'Carry On Cruising'



While exercising patience as I wait for my next holiday/time off, I think now is a good time to share my love of "Carry On Cruising."Actually I love almost every single Norman Hudis Carry On, they are all clever and cheeky but also simple and unpretentious in their affectionate, sometimes surprisingly offbeat humour. In this one though, we are treated to the delightfully chaotic ship's cook (played by Lance Percival), along with Kenneth Williams, Kenneth Connors, Sid James, and the rest of our 'family' of regulars. My favourite here is from the opening scene, when Captain Crowther meets Wilfred Haines (Percival) for the first time, and the slow-to-come burst of cackling laughter from the crew as the two talk is immensely pleasurable to watch.


And despite the usual cost-conscious production, it's easy to suspend judgment and imagine they're really on a lovely cruise, a nice little insight into early British holidays overseas, as everyone tumbles in and out of little misadventures and happy endings. I'm not much of a sea person I don't think, but I think I have a few more films with ships in them to share soon! All to help tide me over (pun unintended) until it's my turn for a little (stay at home) vacation, haha Xo

Comments