Tribute to the Rutherford Marple


The first post to migrate over from my Instagram blog!


On her birthday, my humble tribute to my personally beloved, shining lady of the silver screen, Margaret Rutherford. I wrote this on my blog last winter, and it's all still true really: "For probably ten years now, I’ve been unable to find someone to appreciate my talent for reciting (with voices) entire scenes from the Rutherford Marples. All of them, but especially Murder Most Foul (1964) and especially, Murder Ahoy (1964). I don’t think I’ve ever seen anything as beautiful and downright perfect as Margaret Rutherford. Touchingly brave and earnest, with those bright always detached, serious eyes, her marvellously animated ‘spaniel jowls,’ her strange alertness and adorable gentle eccentricity, this bulky strange old figure in her hilariously swept-up shawls and pearl necklaces and crumpled velvet hats (her own clothes, happy sob), armed only with her love of the mystery novel and her brave search for the truth (and also tea, crumpets, and Mr. Stringer, Inspector Craddock too if he can’t help it). I can only hope I’ll look and be like that when I’m her age (though I have a feeling it’s pretty likely already). I have watched these films a hundred times each probably, and each time is just like the first time, perfect Christmases all in themselves." Happy always birthday, Margaret Marple Rutherford Xo

Comments