The Arrival of Uncle Martin



"Earth's alright for a visit, but I wouldn't want to live here" (Uncle Martin). Sometimes I wish I was better at lifting the old spirits a little faster than I'm able to, but "My Favourite Martian" does the trick for me so well and so faithfully (together with tea and the pictures of golden retrievers I may have mentioned). Have you ever seen it? The pilot sees the energetic adorably boyish Tim O'Hara (Bill Bixby) encounter the miraculous shooting star of Uncle Martin's arrival on earth, the quietly strong but slender and trim Ray Walston with his wonderfully charismatic voice and manner of speech, who lands into 1963 LA and into Tim's home, family, life.

The show has the same quiet self-aware, subtly subversive, compassionate twinkling commentary of say, "The Andy Griffith Show," except with more madcap humour and of course sweetly innocently inventive, pre-Star Trek science fiction, as this uncle from outer space and his adoptive nephew as they both navigate a somewhat new inner and outer world with uncertain, fresh eyes (and more importantly, helped by Uncle Martin's magic antennae and finger and all his powers). I hope these are enough persuasively attractive features to invite a new viewer (I sometimes wish I'd not watched it yet just to rewatch it for the first time, what a lovely evening that was!) Xo

Comments