Great Dialogue in: 'Shadow of the Thin Man'


Day 14: Film with Great Dialogue


(All dressed up at the boxing arena, of all glorious places)
Spider Webb: Hiya Nick!
Nick Charles: Hiya Spider!
Where ya been? How come I ain’t seen ya around?
I’ve been around. Where you been?
I ain’t been around.
No? In stir?
I was the victim of circumstances. The D.A. framed me, not knowin’ I was guilty. Ain’t that a coincidence?
Yeah... Spider, I want you to meet Mrs. Charles. Dear, this is Spider Webb.
You’re Nick’s wife?
Nora, with gusto: Yeah. Ain’t *that a coincidence?
It’s not scintillating intellectual dialogue but the sparkling light back-and-forth patter in W S Van Dyke’s “Thin Man” series make it my choice for this one. These endlessly quotable silly gems, like this little exchange from one of my favourites, ‘Shadow of the Thin Man’ (1941), are so much part of what makes these stylish silver-noirish mysteries so fun, flowing as freely as the cocktails Nick soberly inhales every other minute c: Xo

Comments